Do you homeschool year round? I used to, but then my kids decided that they wanted to stick to the public school schedule. I prefer year round with 1-3 week breaks throughout the year, myself, but the masses spoke and I listened. So, like so many public school parents, I have to work to make sure my kids brains don’t turn to mush over the summer. Reading is a great way to keep the neurons synapsing during even the laziest days of summer. I really appreciate summer reading programs that encourage my two anti-book lovers. Our favorite summer reading program has always been the one offered by our local library, but here are some others fun reading programs:
- Barnes and Noble – this program is for kids in Grades 1-6, and runs May 25 – September 7. Kids earn a free book after reading eight books
- Bookworm Wednesdays – Every Wednesday at 10:00 am beginning July 7th for six weeks. Bookworm Wednesdays entitles kids to free admission to a select children’s film when they present a book report at a participating Showcase Cinemas, Multiplex Cinemas or Cinema de Lux box office. Accompanying parents or guardians and children under six receive free admission and do not need to submit a book report.
- Borders “Double Dog Dare” – this program is for kids under 12, who can earn a free book after reading ten books The program runs May 4 – August 26.
- Chuck E. Cheese Reading Rewards Calendar – Agree on a reading goal with your child. Fill in the reading chart every day that your child meets that goal, and after two weeks, he can turn it into Chuck E. Cheese for 10 free tokens (with pizza purchase). They also have other calendars to work on other goals.
- Half-Price Books “Feed Your Brain” – I actually posted about this program previously, but in case you missed it… Kids 14 and under can earn a $3 Half-Price Books gift card each week for every week they read at least 15 minutes a day from June 1 to July 31.
- H-E-Buddy Reading Club – Kids read ten books, submit the form before October 1st, 2010, and receive a prize in the mail
- TD Bank Summer Reading – this program is for kids aged 18 or younger and runs May 3 – September 30. Kids, who read ten books, get $10 cash.