Update – Be sure to read my updated list of summer reading challenges.
It’s that time again! Summer time is a wonderful time for some lazy day reading. Another incentive for summer reading are summer reading programs, which reward kids for reading. We always enjoy our library’s summer reading program, but several companies also offer rewards programs.
- Barnes and Noble Summer Reading: Imagination’s Destination – this program is for kids in Grades 1-6, and runs May 24 – September 6, 2011. Kids earn a free book after reading eight books
- Bookworm Wednesdays – Every Wednesday at 10:00 am beginning July 6th for six weeks. Bookworm Wednesdays entitles kids to free admission to a select children’s film when they present a book report at a participating Showcase Cinemas, Multiplex Cinemas or Cinema de Lux box office. Accompanying parents or guardians and children under six receive free admission and do not need to submit a book report.
- Borders “Double Dog Dare” – this program is for kids under 12, who can earn a free book after reading ten books The program runs May 4 – August 26, 2011.
- Chuck E. Cheese Reading Rewards Calendar – Agree on a reading goal with your child. Fill in the reading chart every day that your child meets that goal, and after two weeks, he can turn it into Chuck E. Cheese for 10 free tokens (with pizza purchase). They also have other calendars to work on other goals.
- Half-Price Books “Feed Your Brain” – Kids 14 and under, who read a total of 600 minutes during the summer, can earn a $5 Back-to-School Bucks reward. Runs from June 1 to July 31, 2011.
- H-E-Buddy Reading Club – Kids read ten books, submit the form before October 1st, 2011, and receive a prize in the mail
- Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge – kids aged 15 and under must log on to www.scholastic.com/summer between June 6, 2011, 12:01 a.m. EST and June 25, 2011, 11:59 p.m. EST, log their reading minutes, and fill out the sweepstakes form. Grand prize is 6 books.
- TD Bank Summer Reading – this program is for kids aged 18 or younger and runs May 4 – September 30, 2011. Kids, who read ten books, get $10 deposited into a new or existing Young Saver Account.