Someone posted about this crayon recycling program on one of my Yahoo groups today. I thought I would share it with you all, as it is such a good idea. I know some people are really good about using up their old crayons, but I have yet to find a project that used old crayons that work really well for us. I have recently seen some cool new projects around the blogosphere, but they all use entail working with melting hot crayons, which I’m not willing to try with Dora quite yet. In the interim, she goes through crayons, leaving lots of bits and pieces, that I have ended up throwing away. Now I can keep those broken crayons out of landfills, by recycling them (not to mention support a program that hires people with disabilities)! I don’t even have to do anything special to prep our crayons for recycling! Here are some of the details from the program’s site:
- This “recycling” education, community service program has made it possible to stop more than 72,000 pounds of unwanted crayons from going into landfills with the help from schools, organization educators and kids across this country. Thank you for your efforts to help the Earth.
- The CRAYON RECYCLE PROGRAM takes unwanted, rejected, broken crayons to a better place, where they will be recycled into new crayons!
- The program has drop-off bins nationally.
- The CRAYON RECYCLE PROGRAM and Crazy Crayons, LLC work together, but neither one could exist without kids that care about the Earth.
- We employ people with developmental disabilities, working on a positive impact through community service, environmental education and art.
- All purchases of the CRAZY CRAYONS, Eco Stars, RECYCLE” Sticks, Earth Worms and Earthling Crayons support the CRAYON RECYCLE PROGRAM and recycling education.